There are numerous elk hunting bows offered by different companies and top brands. The difference in their styles, weight, and size makes it critical to choose one. After a long discussion with hunting experts, we created a list of bows to help you by narrowing your search for the Best Bow for Elk Hunting.
Buying the wrong hunting bow will either create bad habits or require you to buy its replacement. It is better to be wise at deciding moment instead of facing troubles in hunting.
Our Top Picks:
Table of Content
- Best Elk Hunting Bows in 2021 Reviews & Comparison Table:
- 1 Genesis Original Bow – Adjustable Bow for Hunting:
- 2 Southland Archery Supply SAS Outrage – Best Bow and Arrow for Hunting:
- 3 Diamond Infinite Edge Pro – Top Rated Hunting Bows:
- 4 Bear Archery Cruzer RTH Adult Compound Bow – Best Compound Bow for Elk Hunting (Recommended):
- 5 Diamond Archery Edge Sb-1 – Best Elk Hunting Bow:
- 6 Diamond Edge 320 – Best Elk Hunting Bow:
- 7 Bear Archery BR33 – Elk Hunting Bow:
- 8 Bear Archery Cruzer RTH Compound Bow – Best Elk Hunting Bow:
- Buyer’s Guide:
- Tips For ELK Bow Hunting:
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Best Elk Hunting Bows in 2021 Reviews & Comparison Table:
15” to 30”
25″ to 31″
13” to 31″
5 to 70 lbs.
12” to 30”
5 to 70 lbs.
15” to 30″
7 to 70 lbs.
15” to 31″
7 to 70 lbs.
27" to 32"
55 to 70 lbs.
12″ to 30″
5 to 70 lbs.
1 Genesis Original Bow – Adjustable Bow for Hunting:
Genesis Original Bow is a family bow. Your whole family including children, young and old can use this weapon. This bow is specially designed to polish your hunting skills. This best elk hunting bow is officially used in National Archery in the Schools Program.
Its light draws weight and zero let-off design help newbies by taking them from beginner to expert level. You will definitely grow and develop your skills with the passage of time. It will be easier for you to adjust this bow. Genesis Original Bow has a standard draw weight of 20 lbs. which you can adjust to 10 lbs.
Its bowstring is sharp and may hurt your fingers. It is recommended to use gloves or install finger guards on the string for your protection. The feature of zero let-offs is beneficial in many ways but it may not fit your hunting style. As you would have less shooting time at full draw and animal may see you if you tried to lower the bow.
- Let off: 0%
- Draw length: 15” to 30”
- Axle to axle: 35 1/2″
- Brace height: 7 5/8″
- Cam system: Single cam system
- This bow will grow with you. A (3/16”) hex wrench is used to customize the draw weight.
- Zero let-off design makes it easier for beginners to pull and release the string.
- This bow has no specific draw length requirement. Its draw length can be adjusted between 15” to 30”.
- This hunting bow comes with an aluminum riser, single-cam & idler wheel, and composite limbs.
- The cable guard keeps the cables away from the path of the arrow. It clears the path and makes sure that cables are not going you interrupt you.
- The molded competition grip enables you to hold the bow comfortably. It also helps you aim precisely.
2 Southland Archery Supply SAS Outrage – Best Bow and Arrow for Hunting:
Southland Archery Supply SAS Outrage is a professional hunting weapon. It is the best choice for both beginner and intermediate level archers. This bow has the capability to release the arrow with a speed of 270 fps (feet per second). This outstanding bow is available at affordable rates.
It comes with the bow limb made of ABS material. You can use the limb bolt to adjust the draw weight. Draw weight will be decreased (about 5 pounds) by loosening the limb bolt. Tightening the bolt will increase the draw weight by the same amount. Southland Archery Supply SAS Outrage comes with a standard draw weight of 70 lbs.
This hunting bow has a minimum draw weight of 55 lbs. which is tough for beginners. But in no time they will be able to use this bow easily. It is beneficial in a way that it won’t create bad habits and will help you in polishing your skills to become a pro archer.
- Draw length: 25″ to 31″
- Draw weight: 70 lbs.
- Axle to axle: 35″
- Let off: 70%
- Speed: 270 FPS
- It has a standard draw weight of 70 lbs. which can be decreased to 55 lbs. You can adjust the draw weight by loosening and tightening the limb bolt.
- The maximum speed of 270 FPS (feet per second) won’t let the animal know about he’s targeted.
- The draw length of 30” is also adjustable. You can decrease it to 26” depending on your desires.
- Southland Archery Supply SAS Outrage has compressed ABS limbs. These durable, balanced, and strong limbs give surety of bow’s long life.
- Unlike the previous one, this bow has 70% let off. It provides more shooting time after the full draw. If you have more time to aim, you have more opportunities to hunt the animal.
3 Diamond Infinite Edge Pro – Top Rated Hunting Bows:
As mentioned in the previous product that it is difficult for beginners to lift 70 or 55 lbs. draw weight. If you are likely to face this issue then Diamond Infinite Edge Pro is the perfect choice for you. It is a versatile, compatible, and high-quality bow. It is specially designed for hunting, recreation, and sports.
This bow has a draw weight of 70 lbs. You can adjust the draw weight at any desired point between 70 and 5 lbs. You can easily perform this adjustment by using EZ Adjust Pocket. It has easy to read marks making this procedure simple.
This bow has an integrated stabilizer. It stabilizes the bow for perfect balance and makes it easy to create a steadier shot. The released arrow travels with a speed of 310 FPS (feet per second). It has a dual cam system for a smooth draw. It has a solid back wall making it the best bow for elk hunting.
- Draw length: 13” to 31″
- Draw weight: 5 to 70 lbs.
- Speed: 310 FPS
- Axle to axle length: 31″
- Brace height: 7″
- Let off: 80%
- Cam system: Binary cam
- It is an extremely adjustable bow providing an option to select your desired draw length and draw weight.
- EZ Adjust Pocket allows you to choose any amount for draw weight between 70 and 5 lbs. It is very simple and easy to use.
- Archers of different age groups can use this bow. It doesn’t require you to be a beginner or expert in arching.
- It accelerates the arrow with an excellent speed of up to 310 feet per second. Diamond Infinite Edge Pro has an effective let off of 80%.
- You will get a precise aim due to its integral stabilizer. This stabilizer keeps the bow stable while targeting the victim.
4 Bear Archery Cruzer RTH Adult Compound Bow – Best Compound Bow for Elk Hunting (Recommended):
Bear Archery Cruzer RTH is another Best Elk Hunting Bow designed for peoples of all skill levels and age groups. It is versatile enough to be used by all family members at a time. It is equipped with different tools to enable you to handle all hunting adventures and challenges.
Bear Archery Cruzer RTH is equipped with six Trophy Ridge accessories. These accessories include a four-pin sight, whisker biscuit, neck loop, five-arrow quiver, stabilizer, and peep sight. It has an advanced and comfortable grip which prevents hand torque.
This bow offers an adjustment from child to legend. It is recommended to go with this bow when you are a beginner or planning to purchase for your whole team/family/group. You are required to adjust this bow using an Allen wrench. It should be adjusted according to the archer’s preference.
- Draw weight: 5 to 70 lbs.
- Draw length: 12” to 30”
- Speed: 315 FPS
- Let off: 70%
- You can adjust draw weight between 70 lbs. and 5 lbs. depending on your preference, age, and skill.
- Its draw length can also be adjusted between 12 inches to 30 inches. There is an Allen wrench to make both of these adjustments.
- This bow comes with six Trophy Ridge accessories. These six accessories make this bow ready to hunt.
- Bear Archery Cruzer RTH has a capability to fire arrows with the velocity of up to 315 feet per second.
- This bow offers a 70% let-off, comfortable grip, and high accuracy. It eliminates noise and vibration for next level hunting experience.
5 Diamond Archery Edge Sb-1 – Best Elk Hunting Bow:
It is another amazing bow by Diamond Archery. This bow with a binary cam system is widely used in hunting and serration especially hunting wild animals, like Elk. This bow is incomparable in versatility, compatibility, and adjustability. It also supports beginners and enables them to experience something new.
Diamond Archery Edge Sb-1 can be adjusted easily by turning the limb bolt. It has rotating modules that allow for minimum draw length. You can adjust this bow by multiple ways to fit almost all archers. Being launched by a well-known brand, it has durability and long life.
Unlike the previously discussed product, this bow produces a small noise. When targeting a small distance, that noise may cause the bird to run away. But still, it is the best bow for hunting animals. You can go with the previous bow if you have to hunt the birds.
- Draw length: 15” to 30″
- Draw weight: 7 to 70 lbs
- Speed: 318 FPS
- Axle to axle: 31 inches
- Brace height: 7 inches
- Let off: 80%
- This bow enables you to adjust the draw weight between 7 to 70 lbs. and draw height between 15 to 30 inches.
- It has rotating modules that allowed for 15 inches draw height. These modules are durable and don’t need any replacement.
- The EZ adjust pocket makes adjustment easier. You can choose your desired draw height and weight by turning the limb bolt. How simple it is.
- Diamond Archery Edge Sb-1 has its firing speed up to 318 feet per second. It has let off of 80%.
- Diamond Archery Edge Sb-1 claims to be the most accurate cam system on the market today.
6 Diamond Edge 320 – Best Elk Hunting Bow:
Diamond Edge 320 is the best bow for elk hunting, offering premium performance at an affordable budget. This easily tunable bow fits both beginner and experienced level archers. This bow is used in professional games and hunting. It is the leader in versatility just like other diamond products.
Carrying the bow all around is probably a difficult job. But diamond edge 320 comes with a soft bow case. This carrying case keeps the bow, arrows, and other tools safe while you are in search of a target. It will keep the tools safe and secure.
It has a binary cam system that is not preferred by most of the archers. A bow with a single cam and wheel is considered good for precise aiming. Apart from this, the binary cam system is easy to tune and the best choice for newbie and mature hunters.
- Draw weight: 7 to 70 lbs.
- Draw length: 15” to 31″
- Speed: 320 FPS
- Axle to axle: 32″
- Brace height: 7 1/4″
- Let off: 85%
- It has an adjustable draw weight of 7 to 70 lbs. and draw height of 15” to 31”. You can adjust it to a height and weight that fits you.
- Diamond edge 320 comes with six carbon arrows. It also includes a D loop, wrist sling, and stabilizer for accuracy.
- A soft case makes your journey easier by keeping the bow secure. It will also reduce the chances of losing your tools.
- This bow fires the arrow with a speed of 320 FPS. This fast speed increases the chances of your success in hunting.
- This bow is recommended for those archers who are looking forward to polishing their skills.
7 Bear Archery BR33 – Elk Hunting Bow:
Bear Archery BR33 is designed for professional archers having years of experience in hunting. It has an attractive and coyote brown design making it the best bow for elk hunting. It is used to hunt wild animals. Due to our vast experience in hunting, we can say this bow the best bow for next level hunting.
Its draw weight is 70 lbs. which can be adjusted to 55 lbs. unfortunately, this bow doesn’t support beginners and children. But pro archers will have many things to say about this bow.
One thing I found bad in this bow is that it is not ready to hunt. But don’t worry. It is a basic issue which you can fix easily. You have to install sights, stabilizers, and quiver. You can do it yourself or take this bow to the shop.
- This bow has an attractive and stylish design. Its coyote brown colour suits everyone.
- It has an adjustable draw weight of 70 lbs. If you are not comfortable with 70 lbs. you can adjust it to any point between 70 and 55 lbs.
- Bear Archery BR33 has a binary cam system.
- This bow is comfortable and easy to grip, unlike many other bows.
8 Bear Archery Cruzer RTH Compound Bow – Best Elk Hunting Bow:
Last but not the least bow of our list is Bear Archery Cruzer RTH. It is recommended for all archers. Whether you are a beginner and looking to train yourself or an expert looking for the best weapon, this bow is recommended for all age groups. It is a whole family weapon.
Its draw weight is adjustable for beginner, average, and professional level archers. Any point between the maximum (70 lbs.) and minimum (5 lbs.) can be selected as draw length. It has an excellent fire speed of 315 feet per second. You can also adjust its draw length for your comfort.
This bow is ready to hunt. All of its parts are installed, you just need to take this bow and go for hunting. This bow doesn’t have any discussable defect, that’s why we recommended this bow as the best bow for elk hunting for newbies and professionals.
- Axle to axle: 30 inches
- Brace Height: 6 1/2″
- Draw Length Range: 12″ to 30″
- Draw weight: 5 to 70 lbs.
- Let off: 70%
- Speed: 315 FPS
- This bow is recommended due to its versatility and compatibility.
- It is ready to hunt. Its package includes Trophy Ridge whisker biscuit, four-pin sight, D loop, arrow quiver, stabilizer, and peep sight.
- The let-off has the capability of 70% which is essential for all age groups.
- Bear Archery Cruzer RTH bow can fire bows with a maximum speed of 315 feet per second.
- This bow is totally tunable. It will also grow with you. You won’t need any replacement in the future. So it is a one-time investment for you.
Due to the availability of different verities in the market, it is difficult to find a bow that fits your style. There are many factors which you need to keep in mind while deciding the hunting bow. Here we will discuss the factors upon which one bow varies from others.
Purpose of Use:
While purchasing a hunting bow, you should consider the main reason for purchasing this. Like if you are going to purchase a bow just for fun and aren’t serious about hunting, then go with a cheap bow. If you have to polish your skills then an adjustable bow should be preferred. And if you are a pro hunter then a professional bow with premium performance should be your choice.
Draw height is the most important factor. Varies from archer to archer depending on their preference, age, and skill level. A child can use a bow with a drawn height of 10-35 lbs. The perfect brace height for women is 25-55 lbs. and for experts is 55-75 lbs.
Speed is also a factor that you need to consider. Sometimes, when you target an animal and release the bow at the perfect time. Due to the speed issue, the arrow slows down. And animal moves just before hitting the arrow. Now a day, you can find a bow with a speed of 270 FPS to 370+ FPS.
Brace height of a bow ensures its accuracy. A bow with tall brace height makes the archer shoot easily and accurately. Brace depends on the archer’s personal preference. Usually, a brace height between 6 and 8 is considered good.
You have to carry the bow all day long. It’s better to select a lightweight weapon. But if your purpose for this bow is recreation and practice then you can go with a heavy bow.
Let off also play an important role in the ease of use and accuracy of a bow. It is actually the relaxation of a bow at full draw. The greater percentage of let off provides more time at full draw. You can wait for perfect shooting time at full draw.
Many archers also prefer the let off with a smaller percentage. It fits beginners.
Tips For ELK Bow Hunting:
Before going out for elk hunting, there are a few things you need to keep in your mind for successful hunting.
- Where to find the elk? Of course, Elk need food, shelter, and water to survive like other animals. You can use maps to locate the possibility of Elk’s presence.
- “Over bugle” is not recommended. It works pretty well in favorable conditions. Some experts suggest not rely totally on calling.
- Always carry a cow call with you. As I have discussed earlier, calling is sometimes beneficial but don’t overdo it. Don’t forget to team up with other hunters.
- Use “Tree stands” and “Ground blinds” in the forest to increase the success rate.
- Sometimes Elk don’t come closer and it becomes difficult to shoot at a distance. A “decoy” is used to distract the animal
So this was our list of the Best Elk Hunting Bows. Most of the bow’s specifications depend on the user’s personal preference. He chooses one which fits his hunting style and feels comfortable while using it. Bear Archery Cruzer RTH is the Best Bow for Elk Hunting because of its adjustable design.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
Here are a few answers to the frequently asked questions about the best elk hunting bow.
1 What is a good elk hunting bow?
Ans: It depends on personal preference. One may choose a lightweight to recurve bow while others may go with a fully-equipped heavy computer bow. A good elk hunting bow is one that perfectly suits your age, experience, and ability to lift it.
I advise you to pick the elk hunting bow which could help you build up strength and stamina and make you able to draw the heaviest weight while maintaining accuracy.
2 What equipment do I need for elk bow hunting?
Ans: Here is the list of equipment you may need for elk bowhunting.
- Go out hunting with the best bow and arrows.
- Use a bow case to keep the bow, arrows, and other tools in it.
- The scope is a must-have equipment for hunting. It not only increases targeting-accuracy but also helps in targeting distant objects. Always choose an adjustable and versatile scope.
- If you are planning for camping then make sure that you have a complete camping kit. You should have enough food, water, and supplies (including medications) on hand to last two times more than planned days.
- Use camouflage (according to the terrain) shirt, tent, and other things to make yourself blend. It is helpful for hunting.
- Elk bow hunting may require you to climb, walking on the rugged surface, hiking for miles, and running through mud. It is better to select the perfect, comfortable, and reliable footwear.
- Use hand gloves, fingertips, and shoulder braces to protect your body from the sharp arrow-blade. The protection equipment is necessary for a successful hunting tour.
3 How far can you shoot an elk with a bow?
Ans: Well, it depends on the shooter’s ability. He should focus on the balance, bow weight, length, draw weight, and energy to hunt the elk accurately even at a large distance. I saw most of the people shooting the elk at 40-50 yards while some find it comfortable to shoot at a fewer distance of 20 yards or farther distance of 80 yards.
Equipment is no doubt the key thing to consider if you want to shoot an elk at a farther distance. Use the latest compound bow of 300 plus FPS with scope to take down the bow at 100 yards.
4 Is 250 FPS enough to kill a deer?
Ans: The question is incomplete. There are many factors to consider other than speed to kill a deer. Even if you got a speed of 250 FPS, you can miss the chance of shooting a deer because of the long distance from the target, inadequate length, and other conditions.
If you are about 40 yards away from your target (you can shoot smoothly at this distance) and equipped with the best elk hunting bow then you can bring down the deer with 250 FPS.
5 What is a good broadhead for elk?
Ans: Broadhead is another important factor in hunting especially elk-like giant hunting. Having the deadliest head arrows are as important as the bow itself. For example, if you have perfect gadgets with a bow but don’t have a sharp arrow-head, I bet you won’t achieve your target.
There are many types of the fixed blade and replaceable arrow-heads available in the market. The fixed blade broadhead has been proved excellent in targeting the larger animals. Professional hunters tend to choose this type because of many reasons.
While replaceable broadhead, on the other hand, is durable and economically budget-friendly. The beauty of this broadhead is that you can easily replace it after use. Another valuable type is the mechanical broadhead which is adjustable and can be adjusted according to working requirements.
6 Why Bear Archery Cruzer RTH is recommended?
Ans: It is human nature. He grows up with the passage of time. If you beginner or average level archer then definitely you will grow up and require an updated bow. You don’t need to invest more. This bow can be adjusted for all ages and levels.
7 How do you find Elk during the archery season?
Ans: During archery season (at peak temperature), you are likely to find many elks. The all-time best tactic to find the elk is to search the place which could be a food source for elk.
Elk requires an extensive amount of food to survive. They eat forbs, plants, and grass. Once you discovered the place where elks had been, you can easily predict their next station.
Use cameras (CCTV & Drone), binocular, and the latest equipment to find out the elks.